Costa Del Sol Property Buyers’ Guide
Sep 21, 2021
Sun, sea and amazing food - what more could you want? The Costa Del Sol is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Spain and it’s easy to see why! For many, the alluring charm of this region is too much to miss out on, as more international buyers opt to purchase a second home in the heart of the Costa Del Sol.
Whether you plan on waving your usual rainy weather behind for the winter season or you’d like to enjoy a long summer under the Spanish sun, purchasing a holiday home can benefit you in more ways than one! Everyone deserves to have their own haven. A second home on the Costa Del Sol can become an ideal location to spend the majority of your time or just be somewhere to go when you need to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life!
If you’re ready to begin your Costa Del Sol property search, here’s all you need to know about moving to the area.
What do you need to know about buying a second home on the Costa Del Sol?
Buying a second home in Spain is like having a beautiful haven where you can relax, retire and rest whenever you please. Only a short flight from many other European locations, the Costa Del Sol has something for everyone; including an amazing range of property options that shouldn’t be overlooked.
Having a home on the Spanish coast has become an attractive prospect for people of all nationalities. Spanish real estate has been booming among Scandinavian buyers but the great thing about Costa Del Sol is that it’s suited to all nationalities since the region has so much to offer.
Where is the Costa Del Sol?
The Costa Del Sol, which literally translates as Coast of the Sun, is a region in the South of Spain. Surrounded by the Mediterranean sea and Málaga mountains, the region is made up of popular towns including luxury-living in Marbella, Benalmádena, the family-friendly atmosphere of Fuengirola and Málaga.
Across the region, there is plenty to see and do. With gorgeous beaches up and down the coast including well-known shores where you can soak up the sun in some of the best-loved destinations, as well as hidden coves that are perfect for a morning walk. Plus, if you want to experience city-feels, head over to Málaga or Marbella for recognisable shops, drinks and food.
What to expect living on the Costa Del Sol?
Living on the Costa Del Sol is like being on an extended holiday. Depending on the type of lifestyle you’re seeking, whether you want to kick back and relax during retirement or indulge in a summer of fun with your family, you can find the perfect spot for a second home.
You’ll never be short of areas to explore. Plus, if you’re a lover of golf you’ll be glad to know that the Costa Del Sol has over 40 courses that will provide hours of entertainment. Local restaurants, bars and shops are a mix of traditional Spanish culture as well as well-known names that will provide some familiarity.
When you purchase a second home on the Costa Del Sol, you get the best of both worlds. Even when you’re in the comfort of your property taking a dip in the pool or relaxing on the balcony, the amazing weather and views will immediately brighten your mood.
What is the weather like?
If you’re used to colder weather, the Costa Del Sol is the perfect place to enjoy a warmer climate. It offers around 320 days of sunshine every year! Between March and April, the weather starts to get to a comfortable temperature of around 19+ degrees with less rainfall. From then on until around early October, you can experience glorious sunshine including sunny afternoons and pleasantly warm evenings.
During the winter months (December to February) the Costa Del Sol is still warmer than many other parts of Northern Europe. Rain is not uncommon, however, average temperatures can be around 14 degrees and short periods of sunshine mean you won’t be cold!
The beautiful weather is one of the main selling points for Costa Del Sol. If you’re searching for a location with guaranteed nice weather especially throughout summer, you won’t be disappointed here. With a second home in the region, you can jet off whenever you please and enjoy a few weeks or months of sunshine in the comfort of your own home.
Where to buy properties
There are plenty of locations to choose from when buying a second home on the Costa Del Sol. The towns that make up this region have something for everyone which is why it’s such a popular destination.
Here are a few more details on the most popular areas on the Costa Del Sol:
- Málaga - Capital city of the province of Málaga and Andalucía’s second-largest city, Málaga has around 600,000 inhabitants. You only need to travel a short distance to be close to the attractions including the Picasso museum and a range of cultural spots that are waiting to be soaked up! Plus, the beach is right on your doorstep.
- Marbella - For those seeking charm, luxury and boutique living, Marbella is the place to be. It’s a great spot for young or retired couples who enjoy gourmet dining, dazzling beaches and amazing property options.
- Fuengirola - As one of the most developed seaside resorts on the Costa Del Sol, Fuengirola is a great choice for families buying a second home. With eight kilometres of sand split into multiple beaches, it also has excellent transport links and is also popular among expats and elderly residents.
The types of properties available
Where you decide to buy will depend on a few things; including the type of lifestyle you enjoy, who you’re moving with and of course, the type of property you’re interested in.
The types of typical properties you can buy in Costa Del Sol:
- Apartments - If you’re a couple looking for a starter property or somewhere that’s in the heart of one of the towns, an apartment is a great choice. There are some beautiful apartments including those with incredible beach views, mountain landscapes as well as modern buildings with a range of amenities such as private and shared rooftop pools.
- Houses - If you plan on spending most of the year on the Costa Del Sol and you have a young family, then you’ll want to be comfortable. Purchasing a house will provide you with enough space in terms of bedrooms and even a garden where you can sunbathe, have fun with your kids or enjoy a barbeque or two! Houses are also ideal for those with a car.
- Villas - A villa offers a luxurious home away from home for your time spent in Spain. They often come with a private pool, spacious grounds and plenty of room outside although there are also more minimalist options available too. Additionally, villas tend to be in more rural areas so if you’re seeking privacy this type of property could be right for you.
Think carefully before you make your final decision. It’s always worth viewing a range of properties so you can get a feel for the space and different areas. Buying a second property should be a well thought out decision and when it’s done right you’ll have a beautiful second home that you and your loved ones can enjoy for years to come.
What do you need to move to Costa Del Sol?
Costa Del Sol may be your favourite holiday destination, but before you think about searching for a property here you also need to consider other admin that needs to be done, including:
- Visas & work permits
- Organising your pension
- A conveyor that has a good understanding of Spanish land law
- Moving items into Spain may cost a few thousand euros
- Prepare for your Spanish mortgage as soon as you can so you can negotiate with sellers.
It’s important to get these arrangements sorted as soon as you can to prevent any delays. Buying a second home abroad is not difficult, however, preparing early means you’ll have a good understanding of the buying process when it comes to Spanish real estate.
OfferPal: Find Your Second Home in Costa Del Sol Today
Are you looking for a stunning apartment or beachside home on the Costa Del Sol? At OfferPal, we match prospective buyers and renters with amazing properties all over the world. We only work with trusted and well-renowned real estate agencies in every country we list properties in, giving you peace of mind. Make your international dream come true today by finding the perfect property to start your Spanish journey!
From stunning family homes to modern apartments, our listings include something for everyone. If you’ve been dreaming of a second home in the sun then look no further than us as the best place to begin your property search on the Costa Del Sol. Take a look today: offerpal.com