Cyprus Property Buyers’ Guide
Oct 14, 2021
Cyprus is a perfectly situated island in the eastern Mediterranean Sea renowned for its mineral wealth, excellent wines, cheese and natural beauty. The rich history of this island has made it the ideal getaway for those seeking some culture and sun. Standing on a crossroads between Europe and Asia, it’s rich in diversity and travellers have been visiting for decades to soak up everything the island has to offer.
If you’re on the hunt for a second home or looking to relocate abroad, Cyprus is a great choice for those looking for a change in pace and perhaps a bit more sunshine. The beauty of Cyprus will pull you in and you’ll soon forget what rain even feels like. It’s the ultimate place to buy a second home, giving you the ideal location to enjoy some winter sun or bask in the endless summer sunshine.
If you’re ready to begin your search for a second home in Cyprus, we’ll cover everything you need to know about making the move.
What do you need to know about buying a second home in Cyprus?
As one of the largest Mediterranean islands, located just south of Turkey, Cyprus is full of beautiful Mediterranean beaches and a favourite for many holiday-goers across the world. If you are looking for a second property in a location that has it all, Cyprus might be what you’re looking for. It has year-round sunshine and high temperatures, combined with crystal clear turquoise waters and vibrant culture.
Cyprus is also a perfect choice for retirement, rental villas and holiday getaways. As a popular place for those looking for a second property, there’s plenty of community spirit in the main towns and cities of this stunning island, to help you enjoy everything it has to offer.
Where is Cyprus?
Cyprus is considered a part of Western Europe but is geographically tied in with Asia, located about 80km south of the coast of Turkey. It’s surrounded by Lebanon, Egypt, Israel and Greece. The island is full of tall mountains, fertile valleys and wide beaches and the popular locations of Paphos, Polis and Limassol provide medieval ports, resorts, world heritage sites and nature reserves.
Cyprus is a small island only 240km long and 100km wide but it boasts the beautiful Troodos mountains at its centre, offering secluded walks through oak, pine and cypress forests down to the wonderful beaches on the coast. You can discover hidden gems around every corner of this island including monasteries, medieval bridges, waterfalls and wineries.
What to expect living in Cyprus?
The beauty of living in Cyprus is being able to embrace the slow laid back Mediterranean pace with most of its residents implementing an ‘enjoy the moment’ attitude. As an island, it has a constant flow of fresh seafood and delicious fruit and veg can be brought fresh all year round. You’ll always find a bright and colourful fruit and veg stall wherever you are on the island.
It’s considered one of the safest places in Europe with a very low crime rate compared to other European countries of a similar size. You can take advantage of the great outdoors with stunning mountain hikes, water sports and even skiing in the winter. If you’re a fan of golf, Cyprus has many courses with spectacular backdrops and you can even find frontline golf villas meaning you can step out of your villa straight onto the course. The low tax and low cost of living means you’ll be able to live a more luxurious lifestyle in your second home.
What is the weather like?
Perched close to South West Asia, Cyprus enjoys incredibly warm temperatures with its summer peaking at 31°C and its winter enjoying mild low temperatures of 17°C. The island is toasty all year round but August provides its warmest temperatures. From early spring you’ll be able to enjoy warm weather and the sea will be mild enough for a swim. The summers last many months, from May until October, when you can enjoy cloudless skies, cool breezes and higher temperatures on the coast, so don’t forget your sunscreen!
While the Mediterranean climate brings wetter winters, you’ll still be able to enjoy plenty of warm and sunny days from December to February too. If you’re not a fan of the heat, the winter is the perfect time to enjoy Cyprus in your second home - giving you an escape from colder climates. In the colder months, Northern Europe experiences temperatures below 5°C, while Cyprus is basking in a toasty 18-20°C. You’ll also be able to experience the beaches off-season during these months and appreciate the stillness of Cyprus without the tourists.
Where to buy properties
There are plenty of fantastic locations to choose from in Cyprus so it’s simply a case of finding the right one for you. With many small villages or bigger towns on offer, there’s something for everyone, whatever you’re searching for.
- Paphos - An attractive harbour resort on the southwest coast, Paphos offers many of the island's highlights including a medieval fortress, frescoed tombs and mosaics. It also has countless amenities such as a well-connected airport and a new marina. Surrounding villages include Peyia and Tala located near the five-star Aphrodite Hills resort.
- Polis - A small picturesque town on the north-western coast at Chrysochous Bay, it’s nestled next to the Akamas peninsula, an especially beautiful nature reserve. Its secluded location provides some of the best beaches on the island with beautiful clear waters and a lovely cafe culture. It offers slightly cheaper real estate than Paphos but is still in a prime location to enjoy the island.
- Limassol - For something a little more upbeat, Limassol is a lively metropolis and business hub with first class shopping and a fantastic range of restaurants and bars. This makes Limassol a more highly sought after location with slightly higher property prices.
The types of properties available
The type of property you may choose to buy for your second home in Cyprus will depend on a range of factors, but there’s certainly something for everyone..
Popular types of properties available in Cyprus include:
- Villas - A common choice among families, villas in Cyprus are available in many sizes and styles with typical properties consisting of three to four bedrooms, a garden, a private or communal pool and a stunning view. Couples can enjoy the space a villa has to offer, creating the ideal ‘work from home’ space or the capacity to accommodate visitors all year round.
- Apartment - Smaller properties offer close proximity to amenities and the beach while still retaining affordability and often come with a great balcony with stunning views for you to enjoy al fresco dining and entertaining.
- Duplex - For something particularly trendy, a duplex offers a new take on traditional maisonette. Limassol has plenty of duplex properties which boast stunning views of its modern skyline.
- Houses - Heading out to the countryside has its perks. You’ll be able to find more affordable properties outside of the major towns and enjoy a relaxed pace of life in the rural stone properties of the island.
Have a good look around and do your research before you choose a property as you’ll want to make sure it’s the right one for you. Visit as many as you need to before you pick your ideal second home and try to get a feel for each location.
How can you move to Cyprus?
There are several things you’ll need to consider before you become an expat in Cyprus. Think about visas, work permits, organising your pension, finding a property conveyer and your mortgage.
You’ll also need to consider the costs and make sure the move is within your budget. Buying costs in Cyprus include the following:
- Land registry fees
- Legal fees
- Local property tax
- Stamp duty
- Sale’s agent’s fees
- Removal costs
Getting all necessary arrangements sorted as soon as possible is important and will help prevent any delays further down the line. It isn’t too difficult to buy a second home overseas but being on top of everything will help the process run much more smoothly.
Find your second home in Cyprus with OfferPal
If you’re on the hunt for the ideal second home in Cyprus, has thousands of properties for sale on this beautiful Mediterranean island. We’re a search engine working with leading real estate agencies and developers in countries such as Cyprus, Spain, Portugal, Malta and many, many more. Our aim is to help you find your dream home by matching buyers with the perfect properties.
Whether you’re looking for a villa, apartment, house or even land, we have a vast range of listings for all types of buyer. Working with some of the leading names in real estate, you can rest assured in the knowledge that our partners are experienced, serious and dedicated to providing the best international properties available. To start your journey with OfferPal and find the perfect second home in Cyprus, to browse stunning apartments, houses and villas.